Try this hearty stew with a green salad and whole wheat dinner roll for a well-rounded meal. For a twist, use plantains or corn instead of potatoes or add more vegetables to taste.
1 lb. turkey breast, cut into cubes
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
¼ tsp salt (optional)
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cumin
1½ Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium red or green bell pepper, sliced
1 medium tomato, finely minced
5 cups turkey broth, fat removed
5 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
12 small carrots, cut into large chunks
1¼ cups green peas
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour, salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Roll the turkey cubes in the mixture. Shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey cubes and sauté until nicely brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Place turkey in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over turkey cubes in casserole dish. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour at 375° F.
- Remove from oven and stir in potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20–25 minutes or until tender.
Serves 8 (Serving size: 1½ cups)
Nutritional information: 320 calories; 7g fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 40mg cholesterol; 520mg sodium
Courtesy of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' National Diabetes Education Program