Wine, lemons, and mushrooms flavor this chicken recipe the lower-salt and lower-fat way.
1/8 tsp black pepper
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup flour
4 chicken breasts, boned, skinless (5 ounces each)
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup Marsala wine
½ cup chicken stock (skim fat from top)
Juice from ½ fresh lemon
½ cup sliced mushrooms
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Mix together pepper, salt, and flour. Coat chicken with seasoned flour.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat oil. Place chicken breasts in skillet and brown on both sides. Then remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- To the skillet, add wine and stir until the wine is heated. Add juice, stock, and mushrooms. Stir to toss, reduce heat, and cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce is partially reduced.
- Return browned chicken breasts to skillet. Spoon sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook for about 5-10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Serve sauce over chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Courtesy of the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute